-

ROSARY MAKERS GUIDE

EASY STEPS to Learn how to make a Rosary or Scapular Try one of our Rosary or Scapular Kits for beginners!

MESSAGE BOARD

Forum Home > With Chain Rosary > type of chain

bdtook

I've read the suggestions and directions on this site which are very helpful. I would like to make heirloom type rosaries that are strong enough to use every day. I know the cable chain works the best but I am having difficulty pinning down the best one to purchase. I believe from everything I've read, that nickel base metal is the strongest and does not tarnish. Has anyone bought their rosary chain on line? It is very confusing. I would like to buy it in bulk if possible. Without seeing it in person it is hard to tell if it will be strong or flimsy and cheap.  Thank you.

March 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris

We had trouble purchasing chain online also, except for the chain offered at Our Lady's Rosary Makers, which we knew would be the right size and strength for our rosaries. We finally just visited a bead supply shop  in person to get a look at and feel for the various types of chain that could be used. For cost effectiveness, we still stay with the basic nickel cable chain as suggested on our pages here. Any chain will break if enough pressure is applied of course. But nickel remains the strongest for rosarymakers. You can use gold EP, which is actual gold over nickel, or sterling chain, which is silver over nickel or brass. Even the fancy chains will be an "overcoating" on nickel or brass. Let us find some pictures and more info and get back to you. In the meantime, try a hands on look at some chain from your local bead vendor.

March 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bdtook

Thank you Chris. This helps alot. I definately feel more confident buying the nickel base chain. I am also greatful that you will get back to me with more info.  Donna

March 23, 2009 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rosarymakers
Site Owner

Hi BD - We haven't forgotten about your question. We've taken some new pics of various chains we have on hand and we will update the content on our page about chain. We should have it up by the end of the day.  Thanks for your patience.  - Mary:)

March 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MaryT

BD, we've updated our information about choosing Chain for your rosary-making here onsite. And, we have consulted a metal plating expert to help us explain more fully about metals and chain. When we hear back from him, we will post the information. Let us kknow if we can help with any other question. Have a great weekend, - MaryT

March 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bdtook

Thank you so much.  This information is extremely helpful. I am so excited to get started and am looking forward to reading what the metal plating expert has to say.

Donna

March 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MaryT

We still have not heard back from Mr Expert. Next up is a trip to the library for more info on metal, chain in particular. Back to you soon!

April 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bdtook

Hello again.  I hope everyone is doing well.  You have been so helpful. I have one more question about chain.  I have purchased rosary chain from your suppliers. I wanted to know if anyone has purchased nickel silver cable chain that is not shiny. I would like the chain to better match the crosses and centers that I have. If you know where I can purchase the rosary chain that has a duller finish I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again and God bless,

Donna

June 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MaryT

Hello again Donna,

We've done a little more searching and think you should have a look HERE for a number of different finishes of chain. This vendor shows types against a one inch measure so you can see exactly what you're getting. Keep in mind you'll want to stay within 3 - 4mm links, 16 gauge. We think the "non-shiny" look you may be going for would be an "antiqued" chain, gold, silver or copper. The antiquing darkens the finish and inhibits the shine. Antiqued chain does not necessarily look like an antiqued Crucifix, for instance, where all the little crevices are outlined in a darker color, bringing out the detail. When chain is antiqued, the overall appearance is slightly darker and the sheen becomes dulled.

Hope that helps. - MaryT

June 24, 2009 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.