-

ROSARY MAKERS GUIDE

EASY STEPS to Learn how to make a Rosary or Scapular Try one of our Rosary or Scapular Kits for beginners!

MESSAGE BOARD

Forum Home > With Center, Crucifix or other Findings > Wire

James7r

Hello,

I was wanting to make a Rosary. I was wanting the Rosary to be very strong so it would last a long long time and not break if stressed, rust etc... as I am sure a Rosary made out of steel would eventually (rust). I would also like the Rosary to be high quality. I have been looking around for a wire type to use and so far either Sterling Silver or memory wire looks best. I am not sure which direction to go though. Would you have any suggestions for a wire and size that would work well?

--
April 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Meier
Site Owner

Hello James,

Thanks for a great question. A wire rosary may be made by creating individual links out of wire to join each bead, like the one posted here by member Robert's Heirloom Rosaries, or by using one long strand of cable or "flex wire" with crimp beads, and stringing the beads all in a row, separating the paters and decades with smaller or decorative beads, like the one posted here by member Via Rosa.   So it depends on which type of wire rosary you would like to make.

Flex wire is very strong and is made of many strands of stainless steel, wrapped and coated for strength. Size .019 we find best for rosaries. But use the size of the hole in your bead as a guide also. The "weak point" in a flex-wire rosary occurs at the point where the crimp beads are attached. You can watch a great flex-wire and crimp bead video instruction here.

"Memory Wire" is not a good choice for a rosary, unless you are making a rosary bracelet. Memory wire is permanently coiled and requires special pliers to cut.

There shouldn't be much concern about rust if you use fine wires created especially for jewelry/rosary making. Sterling silver wire will tarnish, unless the rosary is used regularly. Other wires will not rust with normal use.

Please refer to our Pliers and Wires page for more information describing the different types of wires that might be used. We find a gauge of 20 to 22 is best for rosaries. But this is a matter of personal preference. Remember that the smaller the number, the thicker the wire. Very thin wire will not be very strong. We suggest you become familiar with the different wire by personally visiting a craft/jewelry supply and handling the types of wire available. Learn how to work with the wire before beginning final work on your rosary.

All the best to you as you make your rosary! Let us know if you need additional help. Rosary makers, feel free to add your own tips!

God bless, - MaryT

April 13, 2011 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James7r

Thank you for the information! It really helped. I think I'll go with Sterling Silver wire. Have a great day and God Bless!

April 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robert's Heirloom Rosaries

James-  I thought Mary provided you with an excellent response.  Is there something else?

--

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam inque hominum salutem

http://robertsheirloomrosaries.blogspot.com

April 15, 2011 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Apoligize- I thought you were asking the same question once again- maybe the mail did not catch up with me.  Sorry.

--

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam inque hominum salutem

http://robertsheirloomrosaries.blogspot.com

April 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.