-

ROSARY MAKERS GUIDE

EASY STEPS to Learn how to make a Rosary or Scapular Try one of our Rosary or Scapular Kits for beginners!

MESSAGE BOARD

Forum Home > With Miscellaneous > Jesus Rosary

Donna

I am trying to find out how to make a Jesus rosary.  It is different than the regular rosary.  Th interest in the rosary of Jesus's 33 years of life began in Medjugorje.  It has a crufix, seven beads for Glory Be,; seven mysteries of mediatation and prayer and then five beads for Our Fathers.  there is a total of 53 beads used.  I have never made a rosary and don't know where to begin.

September 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robert's Heirloom Rosaries

The Rosary Of Jesus

This ancient chaplet from centuries ago is becoming very popular today, especially in prayer groups.

The rosary commemorates the 33 years of Jesus’ life onearth.  It consists of the

Apostles‘ Creed, 33 Our Fathers and 7 Glory Be’s.  There are 7 mysteries to be meditated upon.  Each mystery is a different aspect of the life of Jesus.

First Mystery: The Birth Of Jesus

Prayer Intention: For peace in the world.

Meditation and spontaneous prayer.

5 Our Fathers.

O Jesus, be our strength and protection.

Second Mystery: Jesus’ love and compassion for the poor and afflicted.

Prayer Intention: For the Holy Father and the bishops.

(repeat Meditation, Our Fathers and O Jesus.)

Third Mystery: Jesus trusted in His Father and carried out His Will.

Prayer Intention: Let us pray for Priests, brothers and sisters and for all those who serve God in a particular way.

Fourth Mystery: Jesus willingly came to earth, suffered and died because he loved us so much.

Prayer Intention: Let us pray for families, for parents, and their children.

Fifth Mystery:

Jesus gave up his life as a sacrifice for us.

Prayer Intention: Let us pray that we too may be capable of offering our life for our neighbor.

Sixth Mystery: The resurrection of Jesus, His victory over Satan and death.

Prayer Intention: Let us pray that we may eliminate all sin from our lives so that Jesus may live in our hearts.

Seventh Mystery: The Ascension of Jesus into heaven.

Prayer Intention: Let us pray that the will of God may triumph so that we may be open to the will of God in our lives.

Meditation:  Let us contemplate how Jesus sent the Holy Spirit.  Let us pray that the Holy Spirit may descend upon us.

Glory Be to the Father 7 times.

Donna-

The above instructions are what I have for praying the Rosary or Rosary Chaplet of Jesus.

I also have a photo of the rosary itself, however it does not have 53 beads. It has 41.

It is constructed as follows, A Crucifix, followed by 1 bead then the center.  Proceeding up the right side there are 7 beads, a space followed by 3 beads, a space followed by 6 sets of five beads.

I have never attempted to construct this specific rosary and to be honest with you I cannot follow the prayers with the specified bead sets.

Specifically- is the Apostles creed said on the crucifix or the single bead above it?  If the Apostles Creed is said on the crucifix then what is said on the single bead?

This is then followed by 7 beads then 3 beads.  What is their purpose?  There are 6 sets of 5 beads- why notseven for the seven mysteries?

As you can see- I am unfamiliar with this rosary set.  My description came from, “My Treasury Of Chaplets”, written by, Patricia S. Quintiliani.

If you have used this particular rosary and understand the prayer usage in accordance with the bead construction I would like to hear from you.

Before I would attempt to make a specific rosary I would want to know how to properly use it.

In regards to “How to make a Rosary”, Mary and her staff have provided some excellent tutiorials for the beginner.  You first need to decide how you want to make your rosary, cord, flex wire, hook and loop, etc.  You need to become familiar with thevarious tools you will need to complete your project.  Mary and her staff have provided a wealth of information within the pages of this site.  If you have particular questions just ask- we are all here to help.

Cheers and Blessing!

Robert’s Heirloom Rosaries

--

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam inque hominum salutem

http://robertsheirloomrosaries.blogspot.com

September 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna and All-

I have posted a picture of the Rosary Of Jesus in my album.  Hopefully you can follow the bead construct.  Like I said- this is taken from the book, "My Treasury Of Chaplets" by, Patricia S. Quintiliani.  Hope this helps to explain my confusion.

--

September 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Meier
Site Owner

Dear Donna, Robert, and all,

Respectfully, I must suggest that one should avoid the "Jesus Rosary" except perhaps as a private devotion, as it is the product of Medjugorje subject Jelena Vaslj. I know I will not grow in popularity among some as I make this suggestion, because many are firmly convicted about the authenticity of the alleged apparitions.

The local Bishop, in whom the authority to do so lies, has spoken in the negative, as well as a number of members of the hierarchy, whose opinions should certainly carry great weight with the Faithful, regardless of whether the chaplet appears in a book or not.

With regard to Medjugorje, and other present day "apparitions" it is essential for the faithful to be wary of all such claims and to use the clear guides that the Church has given us to discern if events and so on are from God or not. These guides are two: alignment of the apparitions with Church doctrine and the approbation of the Church. Medjugorje lacks both, despite the myriad of claims of its authenticity speard across the internet.

I would urge anyone interested to consult the information at the links below, or conduct your own search, from reliable sources. As the moderator, I must state that we will promote no devotions except those approved by the Church. I claim no authority on Medjugorje, but I do submit to the authority of the Church. Until such time as Medjugorje (may) be approved, we will not encourage the making of the "Jesus Rosary" or post pictures of same.

Thank you, and may God bless you. -MaryT

http://www.medjugorjeusa.org/jelenav.htm

http://www.olrl.org/prophecy/medjugorje.shtml

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/medjugorje.htm

September 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Very Interesting.  And I agree- until the apparitions at Medjugorje are approved by the church.

However- from what I have read about this chaplet- this chaplet was originated centuries ago long before the apparitions at Medjugorge occured.  Quite frankly I don't know how the two became related to one another.  Then again- I will further research to see if I can uncover any other information in regards to this rosary chaplet.

Thank you for the insight.

Bob

--

September 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

You've got it Bob!

I work part time at a Catholic book store, so I thought I would do a little sleuthing on the origins if the Jesus Rosary.  From the preface to "The Golden Book of Prayers" by Queenship Publishing:

"The Rosary of Jesus was introduced in the 1500's by Blessed Michael Pini, a hermit of the Sacred Hermitage of Camaldoli, Italy.  It was given various indulgences by Pope Leo X, in his decree of February 18, 1516."

I also tried to look up Blessed Michael Pini's biography, but I haven't found anything on him yet.

So, it looks like the Jesus Rosary is legitimate.  I'll let you guys know when I find info on Bl. Michael Pini.

-Shad

December 31, 2010 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

This is an ooold "Appendix of Indulgences granted by His Holiness Pius IX from 1856 to 1866".  It mentions Bl. Michael's Chaplet of Our Lord, but it seems to differ a lot from the one outlined by Bob.

December 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Meier
Site Owner

Thanks to Robert and Shad for this interesting topic for a fine New

Years Eve. : )

A little more research brought up the following information which

hopefully will illustrate the difference between the approved "Crown of Our Lord" also known as the "Rosary of Our Lord" instituted by Bl Michael Pini, approved and indulgenced by Popes, and the "Jesus Rosary" promoted among the followers of Medjugorje.

• From the Encyclopedia of Catholic Devotions and Practices, by Ann Ball, found HERE:

Crown of Our Lord (Camaldolese)

A chaplet instituted by Blessed Michael Pini (c.1445-1522) Also known as the Rosary of Our Lord, it commemorates the thirty-three years of Jesus' life on earth. It has three decades of ten beads and three additional beads. The main prayer of the chaplet is the Our Father.

The Medjugorje rosary of Jesus clearly differs from this, including mysteries and 7 decades of 5 beads each, and is described as one "Gospa taught Jelena." These are two different chaplets; one approved, one not.

• Short bio found HERE

Blessed Michael Pini, OSB Cam., Hermit (PC)

Born in Florence, Italy, c. 1445; died 1522. Michael was highly favored at the court of Lorenzo

de'Medici before becoming a Camaldolese hermit

in 1502. After his ordination to the priesthood, he was walled up in his hermitage where he remained until his death (Benedictines).

One may most certainly pray in private almost any prayer, or even make prayer up and pray as a regular regimen of one's spiritual life. It is in the public promotion and practice of devotions that Holy Mother Church concerns herself for the good of

souls...among other things : )  ... In the case of the devotions springing out of Medjugorje, public and formal promotion is to cease.

Bob, maybe you can make us a "Crown of Our Lord" chaplet. It sounds to be the same bead count and form as the Chaplet of the Holy Face, shown on our Chaplets page.

Thanks for all the great input and info...there is always something new to learn about our holy faith.

God bless you, Mary

December 31, 2010 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

Wonderful! I've actually contacted the Camaldolese hermits for more information on the Rosary of Our Lord.  This was the suggestion that Ann Ball gave in her "How-To Book of Sacramentals".

-Shad

December 31, 2010 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I have been browsing around the internet and through my various research books on chaplets and have found different interpretations of the Chaplet of the Crown of Our Lord.  I have even found different ways to pray this chaplet.

I always search for the approved method of construction and prayers before I begin to design.  Does anyone know the approved method?

--

January 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

Hopefully the Camaldolese hermits will get back to me soon.  They are the root of the Crown of Our Lord, so I will be going with whatever they recommended.  I will post whatever directions they send me.  

-Shad Gallaway

January 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Meier
Site Owner

Good work Shad. : )  

Looking forward to reading what you learn from the good hermits.  I finally ordered a couple of books I have wanted for a long time, hoping they will be valuable resources for future inquiries:

How to Book of Sacramentals: Everything You Need to Know but No One Ever Taught You     and

Encyclopedia of Catholic Devotions and Practices  , both by Ann Ball. These 2 books are often quoted on the net and now I will have my own copies. Looking forward to some more study!

January 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

Okay here it is. From the horse's mouth!

The Crown of Our Lord consists of 33 beads -- 3 decades and 3 additional beads -- commemorating

the 33 years of the earthly life of Our Lord.  Five "Hail, Marys" and recited in honor of

Mary and the five wounds of Our Lord.  (Three "Glory Be" prayers are sometimes

inserted to honor the holy trinity -- as shown in diagram #3, 5, & 7.)  The Apostles'

Creed concludes the chaplet.  There are two methods of reciting this chaplet -- the

longer method consists in meditating on an event of the life or passion of Our Lord while

reciting each "Hail, Mary" and "Our Father"; the shorter method is given here:

Short Form of the

Rosary of Our Lord

Considering His Virtues,

Passion and Death

In the Name of the Father, etc.

In the first decade we shall consider the infancy of Our Lord Jesus until He was twelve years of age, particularly His incarnation in the womb of the Virgin Mary, His birth in a stable, His circumcision, His presentation in the temple and the persecution He suffered from His enemies when He was still an infant.

We shall also consider the humility with which he obeyed and waited on His holy Mother and Saint Joseph, by whom He was found, at the age of twelve, holding discussions among the doctors in the temple. 

One Hail Mary, ten Our Fathers, One Glory be.

In the second decade we shall consider the life of Our Lord Jesus Christ from the time He was twelve years of age until His passion, considering how He who was divine Wisdom, humbly and charitably lived unknown among men until He was thirty.  He prepared Himself for His preaching by a forty-day fast and by being baptized by St. John the Baptist.  Then He chose His Apostles, preached His evangelical law and worked miracles throughout Palestine, while He suffered persecution and countless hardships.

One Hail Mary, ten Our Fathers, one Glory be.

In the third decade we shall consider the latter part of Our Redeemer's life:  His most bitter passion.  Having entered Jerusalem amidst the acclamations of the people, He abased Himself in washing the feet of His disciples and He instituted the Holy Eucharist.  Let us consider also how following His prayer in the garden during which He sweated blood, He let Himself to be captured and bound by his enemies, and being led from one tribunal to another, He was slapped and reviled, scourged at the pillar and crowned with sharp thorns.  At the end, after carrying the cross on His shoulders to the hill of Calvary, He was crucified between two thieves and gave up his most holy soul for the redemption of mankind.  After his death blood and water flowed from the sacred wound in His side.

One Hail Mary, ten Our Fathers and one Glory be.

In the concluding prayers, we shall consider how Our Lord Jesus Christ, after His adorable body had been tree days in the sepulcher, rose again from the dead, appeared to His Blessed Mother and to His disciples.  Also how He established St. Peter as head of the Church, commanded all the Apostles to go about the world preaching the Faith and the remission of sins; and after forty days he ascended into heaven at the right hand of the eternal father, whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

One Hail Mary, three Our Fathers and one Hail Mary.

Creed.

V. We adore You, oh Christ, and we bless You.

R. Because by Your holy Cross You have redeemed the world.

Let us pray

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, in whose honor we have recited this Rosary, put Your passion, Your cross and Your death between our souls and Your judgment now and at the hour of our death and grant us grace and mercy; grant the faithful departed rest and pardon; grant Your Church peace and harmony and to us sinners forgiveness and eternal glory, who live and reign world without end. Amen. 

That is one side of the pamphlet in its entirety. 
-Shad
January 11, 2011 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

And this is the second side of the pamphlet.

January 11, 2011 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Great job Shad!  Thank you.  One question though: The layout of the beads- is it 30 on the loop with 3 on the tail?

--

January 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

Starting from the crucifix: large bead, 3 smaller beads, large bead, center piece.  10 small beads, one large bead, 10 small, 1 large, 10 small, rejoin to center.  It looks like a rosary with only 3 decades up top.  Can you see the picture I posted? it's just giving me an "x".  If you can't see it I can forward the email from the hermits to you (and anyone else who is interested).  The picture explains where you start on the beads and what prayers you say.  

January 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shad

Oh, and the 33 beads that the instructions refer to are the 33 Our Father beads.  There are larger/spaced out beads added for the mysteries/Hail Marys/optional Glory Be's.

January 12, 2011 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

No- I can't see the picture- but I understand the bead layout now.  Thanks!

--

January 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Meier
Site Owner

Thank so much Shad for all of the information and all your effort to get it! I rec'd my big book of sacramentals mentioned above, but have not had a chance to go through it yet. I think we should do a work up of this Chaplet and add it to the other chaplets we show on our site. this should clarify once and for all the difference between this approved Chaplet and the one associated with Medjugorje. Again, thanks so much. And you too Robert, as always for showing us your beautiful Rosaries/Chaplets.

God bless, - Mary

January 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.