-

ROSARY MAKERS GUIDE

EASY STEPS to Learn how to make a Rosary or Scapular Try one of our Rosary or Scapular Kits for beginners!

MESSAGE BOARD

Forum Home > I'm a Beginner > Sterling Silver wire...

PigeonPhil

I'm new to making rosaries and I would like to try using Sterling Silver wire on my next rosary.  I make my own eye pins.  Can anyone suggest which type of wire (dead soft, half hard or hard) and what size wire to use?

August 13, 2010 at 5:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Robert's Heirloom Rosaries

Recommend half hard- 20 gauge.  It's an excellent all around wire to use.

--

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam inque hominum salutem

http://robertsheirloomrosaries.blogspot.com

August 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PigeonPhil

Do you suggest using nylon padded jaw pliers to straightne the sterling silver wire prior to use?

August 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

When I first started I also purchased nylon padded jaw pliers.  I used them a couple of times and ended up putting them away.  It is not necessary to straighten the wire if it is naturally curved.  If you are making eye pins you are probably only using a very small piece of wire (1 1/2) inches in length.   Make your first loop, slide your bead on, use your fingers to straighted the remainder then make your next loop.  The purpose of the nylon pliers is to assist with not marking the wire with "mar" marks.  If you have made pins already you are probably familiar with what I call "the right touch".  You learn how much pressure to hold the pliers so mar marks do nort occur.  99.9% of the stones I wrap are completely wire wrapped.  Depending on the size of the stone, 8, 10 or 12 MM depends on the length of the piece of wire I will use- 3 to five inches in length.  I never straighten the wire- I want to take advantage of the natural curve of the wire during my wrapping.  However- every rosary maker develops his or her own technique.  If you feel this will help you by using the nylon padded jaw pliers then by all means give it a try.

Hope that helps.

--

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam inque hominum salutem

http://robertsheirloomrosaries.blogspot.com

August 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.